Sunday, April 25, 2010

Possibly Misdiagnosed???

For the last two weeks we've been struggling with Tyler's BS's. No matter what we seem to have done, he is dipping frightfully low. With the increases of his activity level, we have been unable to keep up. And even more frightening, my husband and son were convinced that he had been misdiagnosed. I couldn't wrap my mind around it. Could it possibly be true? Could my son be misdiagnosed and now we needed to save his life by taking him OFF insulin. Scary enough my husband do it. And for awhile we were successful in keeping his levels balanced with exercise and food without the use of quick acting Humalog. I did however keep him on his Lantus. I just couldn't quite quit the entire thing. But, however, our dreams and hopes were crushed when BS just didn't stay the same. He eventually went crazy high and we started to give him his Humalog again. And crazy thing of all, the tears started to flow again. I just couldn't believe that I could let myself believe that he could mysteriously be cured.
As I've watched him slowly come out of his honey moon stage, I can't help but think back to our life before D. Our careless family fun nights of candy and soda. I miss our eating late and unscheduled. I think of Tyler's life in the future and what it holds. Too bad it's not a life without D. I only hopes he knows that it should never stop him from doing anything and everything he wants to do.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

(((hugs)))

It breaks my heart when I hear about parents hoping for the miracle that the honeymoon disguises so well.

You're doing a great job...life isn't scheduled with a pump...remember that this is a temporary piece of a bigger picture and it won't always seem so regimented.

Hang tough!!!!

Meri said...

To think maybe, just maybe...this all might go away...and then to have it all dashed away...it is just so awful. I'm sorry. It is really heartbreaking.

I'm sorry you have to go through this, but you are not alone. We are here to listen. (((BIG HUG)))

mandyland said...

Thanks Wendy and Meri. I was hanging onto that little bit of hope that just maybe it was a mistake. Still brings me to tears and I look forward to it not stinging so bad in the future.

connie said...

Hi Amanda,

I just came across your blog and was reading your post and it brought back some heartbreaking memories for me.

My name is Connie, I have two daughters who are ages 2 and 4 years old and they both have type 1 diabetes. They were diagnosed just 11 months apart and I clearly remember thinking that this was a huge, terrible mistake. When my oldest daughter was diagnosed her numbers were so good we were told that we could probably take her off of insulin for a little while but that eventually as she ended her honeymoon period she would need to take insulin again. I remember thinking that she doesn't have this if she doesn't need the insulin and they had to be wrong about her diagnosis.

They weren't wrong, but I had that glimmer of hope that it was a misdiagnosis. I try to remember that even though my daughters have this disease, we can manage it and help them to live happy lives and encourage them to do all that they want in life.

Heidi / Jack's Pack said...

You've been through the wringer lately, huh? My guess is that Tyler will surely know that D shouldn't stop him from doing as he wishes and wants, because you will have taught him that. Hang in there! :)